Thursday, August 6, 2009

Zerubbabel

And the cleaning and unpacking/packing commences. As I go through my HUGE pile of stuff from the dorm room this year I run across a few things I forgot I had. For example, dinosaur stickers and word magnets. AWESOME. I found some things I'd thought were gone forever - my A Walk to Remember dvd & my bent spoon (don't ask questions). and I found some things I expected to find, textbooks and such, and one that I had an interest in finding- My book and due to my ugh ..convenient.. system of organization... my notes shoved in the pages (at least there were notes at all.. that's all I'm sayin ) from the intro to reli - Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. class I took last fall.
Some great things came from that class... a general understanding of the timeline from old test to new test. one area where this class really messed me up was my understanding of the immanuel prophecy... the reason it messed me up was because i realized I knew VERY LITTLE to begin with about basically anything in Isaiah. In my personal reading plan i'm actually in Isaiah. That's a good place to be to be challenged in wanting to know things. I posted before about my desire to actually know the word - including historical context, significance, and meaning. So the first line in isaiah leads me back to chronicles and stuff before I can even get into Isaiah. I'm really excited about this challenge. HUZZAH.
back to my actual story... I started flipping through my notes and saw my professor had lectured on Zerubbabel. mhm, i didn't remember ANYTHING from that day of class. At all. What really caught my interest about this was in a rick pino mix someone made there is a track called Zerubbabel. References in the bible to Zerubbabel can be found in Ezra, Haggai, Nehemiah, Zechariah, and in the gospel's genealogies of Jesus. Zerubbabel was born during the time of the Babylonian Captivity and became a leader in returning to Jerusalem from captivity. Right. so yadda yadda they're working on rebuilding the temple. they lay the foundation then God's like keep going i'm with you.
" 'On that day,' declares the LORD Almighty, 'I will take you, my servant Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel,' declares the LORD, 'and I will make you like my signet ring, for I have chosen you,' declares the LORD Almighty."

So this song says.. "When I'm with my daddy, my innocence is restored... No more confusion for my generation." I now understand the reference to Zerubbabel as the song title. This generation is in so much junk.. just like they were during the babylonian exile. After the King of Persia issued the proclomation of the newly conquered Babylon to release the exiles- including the Jews, to specifically rebuild the temple, Zerubbabel led them out. back to God, with instructions to rebuild the temple of the Lord... in the presence of the Lord- this generation can rise up out of the junk they're in.


** Just a side note. If you read my blog. I'm amazed. I always write and feel like I don't make sense. And I rarely include pictures... so kudos to you for reading. Hopefully you get something out of it. :) Don't be afraid of the comment box. It actually is quite a friendly tool. :)

No comments: