Wednesday, July 15, 2009

And off I go.. Where I stop... Nobody knows.

One of my teachers used to say they thought the biggest insult you could ever say to a person was: "I've forgotten more than you know." ... burn.
Anyway. I really am a nerd. I like to know things. I like to learn. I've been known (by not very many people) to wikipedia things just for fun or get on wikipedia in my spare time. One thing I've been really challenged with recently is learning the context of everything written in the Bible. Sometimes there is so much significance in the reference to a city or to a king or region. It's a sticky thing to do.... look at this historical context of the Bible. That's one of the things that I will wrestle with forever.... if historical documents don't match Biblical Reference. A friend was talking about the Word being Infallible and how he wrestles with that. I agree. I wrestle with that like crazy. What really gets me is the time when things are written compared to when they're happening. And I took a religion class and we talked about JEDP theory. Talk about something to wrestle with... the first 5 books traditionally thought to be written all by moses (except he narrates his own death in that case)... So this theory is that these were all written by different authors and at different times. YIKES. I just brain vomited all over you. Sorry :)

ANYWAY. not the point. So I'm in 2 Chronicles right now... which you might know... is all history. I've spent the last 3 hours trying to get a grip of the historical context of this history of the kings of judah. Then I realized... i'm devouring this stuff. I genuinely enjoy the hunt of putting the puzzle all together. I like reading something that requires work to understand it. I txt someone that and they said I'd enjoy James Joyce. I said I tried that once... didn't like it. :)
I'm tired of reading the bible and skipping over the stuff i don't really know about. Like when I read, "When Amaziah returned from slaughtering the Edomites, he brought back the gods of the people of Seir." I want to know why the edomites were being slaughtered. I want to know when in the reign of amaziah was this taking place. Who were the people of Seir? Where is Seir? If Seir is a place.. and he was returning from Edom how'd he end up with the gods of seir? if he wasn't coming from there.. he was coming from Edom? What were the people of seir known for... what would the ancient israelites associated with the word Seir?
:)
And off I go.



No comments: