Sunday, September 13, 2009

Blog Title.

[this blog reminds me of the time I had some Terry Time and he let me talk for 15 or 20 minutes.... and he said you're a deep thinker. I don't know what to tell you... but just keep thinking you'll get there eventually. ]

"Some of her answers might excite popular prejudice, but, if there is any principle of the Constitution that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other, it is the principle of free thought -- not free thought for those who agree with us, but freedom for the thought that we hate. I think that we should adhere to that principle with regard to admission into, as well as to life within, this country. And recurring to the opinion that bars this applicant's way, I would suggest that the Quakers have done their share to make the country what it is, that many citizens agree with the applicant's belief, and that I had not supposed hitherto that we regretted our inability to expel them because they believed more than some of us do in the teachings of the Sermon on the Mount." - Dissenting Opinion US vs Schwimmer - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Freedom for the Thought.. they go and go. left, right, up, and down. they go up to the line which we're not supposed to cross. The thoughts go where they want to go. They go without permission. Thoughts are secret. The full extent of them cannot be known by the people around you. If not purposefully hidden, it'd be nearly impossible for others to keep up... because while trying to keep up with your thoughts, they are entitled to their own. Thoughts.. Not space.. are really the great unknown. Thoughts keep going, they do not rest. Have you noticed when something is really heavy on your mind.... you're exhausted.

"We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the Knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedeince of Christ, and we are ready to punish all disobedience, whenever your obedience is complete." - NASB 2corinthians 10:5-6

take every thought Captive to the obedience of Christ. Captive is literally the opposite of Freedom. [conflict...i want it to be resolved]. i live by christ. I resist lies that come into my thoughts. I make efforts to take captive my thoughts to the obedience of Christ... but what about others. When they do not... when they speak out of their thoughts... Freedom for the Thought that we hate? If we didn't have freedom for the thought that we hate... I couldn't talk to an atheist about Jesus (although in most cases they'd jump on that opportunity hoping to destroy).

So often people don't want to hear the opposing side of things.. anti- abortionists don't want to hear people support abortion laws. people in favor of universal health care do not want to talk to people who want to keep health care privatized. conservative southerners gag thinking about homosexuality & more often than you'd think not even speak to a homosexual man/woman. They all despise the opposite opinion. The opposing thoughts sometimes end in hurtful and degrading names... from and towards both sides.

Where is the line between Freedom for the thought that we hate, and freedom for the thing that we hate? freedom for the thought refers to the freedom to speak what you want. Where does public law, free thought, democratic government, moral code, and religious thought live together?
[i think this is why I changed my major from political science]. I know what I believe. I know where I stand. I believe Jesus is Truth. I believe in God. I believe in the authority of the bible. My conflict remains in how I believe a government should be run to govern a country. & how my beliefs fit into that.


No comments: