Friday, October 23, 2009

Whelmed in the Over sort of Way.

Earlier this day I was whelmed... not in the "over" way... but now... Now I'm overwhelmed.

Now He was telling them a parable to show that at all times they ought to pray and not to lose heart, saying, "In a certain city there was a judge who did not fear God and did not respect man. There was a widow in that city, and she kept coming to him, saying, 'Give me legal protection from my opponent.' For a while he was unwilling; but afterward he said to himself, 'Even though I do not fear God nor respect man, yet because this widow bothers me, I will give her legal protection, otherwise by continually coming she will wear me out.' "
And the Lord said, " Hear what the unrighteous judge said; now, will not God bring about justice for His elect who cry to Him day and night, and will He delay long over them? I tell you that He will bring about justice for them quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?"

per⋅sist: [per-sist, -zist]
–verb (used without object)
to continue steadfastly or firmly in some state, purpose, course of action, or the like, esp. in spite of opposition, remonstrance, etc.
Why has my heart moved from whelmed to overwhelmed today you ask? How does that relate to what's above you ask? Despite my expectations of the Lord's faithfulness... I am still weak and surprised by his faithfulness. By His power. By the way he answers my prayers... my many prayers. my frustrated yellings is what I'd call them. alone hollerin at God that I know goes beyond my ceiling but wonderin why he's not been movin.. wrestling with the past & present. The age old why do bad things impact the innocent? years. years. years of pleading. Wanting to give up... Thinking it's impossible. Not believing anything'll change.. still hoping it will.
So today... I am overwhelmed. That persistence has brought action. I am overwhelmed at the change I've seen. Culminating... but still to go further ... with today. October 23,2009. exactly 20 years to the day that my mom found out she was pregnant with me. I know this is a weird personal historic date to know... but it is also the same day my uncle passed away. Today.
Although the days of barren prayer are frustrating... they matter. They are a sign of persistence. The Lord responds to the persistent cries of His children.

No comments: