Sunday, September 26, 2010

P&P

pride - a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired
&
prejudice - preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.


by definition you cannot take pride in anything that is not of your own achievements or the achievements of someone that you are close to. It would make sense then for me to feel offended by someone who thinks that they know me to say that they are proud of me. For the longest time I've never been able to make sense of why something meant as such a good thing leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.

a prejudice is something typically formed out of my fear. If I quickly formulate an opinion about something without really reasoning it or experiencing it for myself... i develop a strong prejudice that would dissuade me from participating. Instead of dealing with my fear I just remove it. I've lived a majority of my life based on my own prejudice (a hard ice cube to swallow when you've always considered yourself highly UN prejudiced.) or by someone else's prejudice. The world's your oyster when you remove the constraints of prejudice.


I do have a pet prejudice monster being fed by the corners of my mind, but I also have an oyster.
I am proud of myself. The difference between pride and vanity (according to jane) Pride is a high opinion about oneself, Vanity is believing that others hold a high opinion of you. I am proud of myself at the moment. I've come home from Richmond Hill. Hung my clothes up. Cooked dinner. Did a load of laundry. Dabbled in a hobby or two. I've lived on my own. feet firmly on the ground.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Didn't even know you went to the hill this weekend! I'm proud of you! :)