Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sneaking Up on a Reflection.

This is the first of two. I'll open with the light-hearted reflection from the past two days. Yesterday, as usual I was waiting for the bus to go to campus, as usual I was running late... so the following could only be observed for two minutes at most. It was one of the most beautiful moments in a while. Where I stand is on the other side of the parking lot. So if you look down you're staring at the front license plates.. you know the ones of a georgia G (or some other fan affiliation... really any affiliation of any kind).
Something to be noted - is that the wildlife in athens are very bold creatures. squirrels frequently come within 3 feet, chipmunks dart right in front of your feet, and birds are always milling about looking for some scraps.
Because of my familiarity with the daring wildlife around these parts, I did not think twice of the bird that was just walking around the grass in front of the parked cars....
until i did.
This bird.
was playing with it's reflection. It was one of those ultra shiny mirror-esque specialty plates. Somehow this bird had spent enough time in the area... it would stop peck at the plate. walk in a circle turning its head to observe "the other bird." he would then walk under the car in a complete circle around the front end and then POUNCE. (think about when you hop in front of a mirror quickly) he would jump quickly in front of the plate .. trying to pull a fast one on his reflection.
It was one of the funniest things i witnessed in a while. I wish I could have filmed it.

No comments: