Wednesday, April 27, 2011

you are free.

What do you want to know? I'm reading a book called "Children at War" it's a book about the epidemic of the use of children as soldiers. These children are frequently abducted by the rebel groups, guerilla groups, military, or even the State. If not abducted (even from UN refugee camps), they are "voluntarily" drawn in when given the ultimatum "join us, or die" or to eat a meal with the militia groups or to starve to death on the streets... when those are the options what would you choose? It's excruciating for me to study this subject to realize that the impressionable children are now intended for war. They do not fight for any form of ideology or even for peace, they are fighting for profit. A war based on profit is a war that does not have a goal to end. Their Innocence is stolen from them. The youngest documented child soldier was 5 years old. 5 years old. FIVEEE. my little brother is eight years old. I saw him as a five year old. I saw what he was like. These children are only perpetuating what they are taught. It's terrifying to imagine a nation run by these kids who are taught to find their identity in the ranks of the militia. Click this link if you're interested in learning more about this. It's a 25 minute documentary about a boy that was a child soldier.
This semester i've been discovering my heart for the oppressed. I'm learning how to stand for those that cannot stand for themselves. This has been stirring my heart. For real. More to come, i'm sure.

No comments: