Thursday, May 19, 2011

above all else

It's not often that someone says something that strikes me in a sermon and months later I cannot shake the thought. [... honestly 45 minutes of sitting still listening to a person's words without me asking questions... usually my mind runs off on one of my questions.. ]. This semester has been filled with a few more than usual - I like it.

One wednesday at Wesley this semester Bob Beckwith's message came to this point: What is your life's pursuit? What, above all else, do you want Heaven to know you by? (i sincerely hope I did not butcher that summary... these are the two questions that have struck me) as bob went on he discussed that if you ask to grow in certain things the Lord is faithful.
For the last couple of months I've found myself coming back to these questions, with every person I meet, through the relationships I have with people, even when reading tweets, I'm struck by this thing. If I were going to be known by heaven for certain things what would i want them to be. What will I want God to know me as? David was a man after his heart. Solomon was wise. Abraham was faithful. Paul was Zealous. get my flow? Some people are marked by things. Let's get real personal as I tell you a few things I'm going after:

"Who is this coming up from the wilderness leaning on her lover?" - Song of Songs 8:5 ;

The moment I began to understand this statement it symbolized all I need. all that I want. I've written about this before , I want to be dependent on Jesus. In this I'd lump together the desire for being known as a person that knows how to get to the secret place with the Lord.


"She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord's feet, listening to His word." Luke 10:39
I want to be like Mary of Bethany. I just want to sit at the feet of Jesus and let all else flow from that place.

"for my hand made all these things, thus all these things came into being, declares the Lord. But to this one I will look, to him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at my word." Isaiah 66:2
my thoughts associated with being humble is a formerly thought of superior chooses to be inferior. ouch. I'm so not good at that. But I want to be the Lord says that that is the character he will turn his gaze to. I want to tremble at His word. to me it seems in order to tremble at His word it's necessary to humble yourself.

Well, That's where I've been so far. I'm sure it will continue to be crossed out re written and crossed out again in lil ole everywhere journal.


No comments: